Sunday 15 July 2012

Second Year of Projects Week 3

Well I've been chugging along on my socks in the evening after placement,whilst I attempt to settle into a routine for the time I'm commuting up to an hour and fifteen minutes each way, which will be until around December. And I have to say, they're going pretty well


The first sock is finished, and it fits perfectly! These are going to be such luscious socks to wear, the yarn is so soft and warm. I altered the toe, because I didn't like to look of the one in the pattern, to a normal kitchenered toe. I somehow managed to forget that the reason I made my last socks toe up was that I am awful at kitchener stitch. I always end up with a set of purl bumps, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. A bit of Ravelry searching later, and I figured out that I was putting the yarn over the needles, instead of under, for each stitch. It took four tries, but I now have a very nicely kitchenered toe!


I still love this pattern. I think it works even better that I expected with the yarn, which is really gratifying. And I'm well on track to get them finished by the end of the month, which is my aim, so I can complete 12 pairs this year. I've been so organised this weekend, and actually crossed everything off my to-do list, which I don't think has ever happened before,so I'm planning to spend the rest of this afternoon playing with my spinning wheel, so watch this space for handspun!

22 comments:

  1. I do love the color of the sock. Good job on the kitchenered stitch. You are right on target with your YoP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great pattern and it works really well with the yarn. Nice combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really love the sock and great job on the kitchenered toe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab socks, they look squishy and soft, infect that second picture makes them look rather berrie-like!

    It's great to fit in crafting in time that you'd otherwise be just sitting, I know I do lots of crocheting while waiting in my car for the kids....haven't mastered knitting whilst driving yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is quite a commute...and that is lovely yarn..It looks soft!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty socks, looks like berries

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, sock love! Kitchener stitch is magic, really! I always switch to a wedge toe with a grafted end - that's one fits best for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the socks...the pattern and yarn work very well together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the pattern and the yarn suit one another perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sock one looks great! And it's a perfect fit? That's even better! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful socks! Love the way the yarn made stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, I used to do a LOT of hours on trains before I left work to have the kids and I really wish I'd known how to knit then, to think of all those hours spent doing crosswords and reading when I could have been knitting.

    I love the yarn/pattern combo - they are going to be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! Good luck with your year of socks :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the colours of your socks and the texture is fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your socks are really pretty. I like them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do have a love of sock yarn from Jeanette :)

    If you ask her nicely, I'm sure she'd send yarn to England...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like how the yarn striped. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Socks look great, both the color and the design. Your commute sounds longggggggggggggg, thankfully you have your yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the texture to your sock! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They're lovely socks, definitely, and the yarn and pattern seem to work perfectly together :) Love it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those socks look so squishy and warm! Such a pretty pattern too. Secretly, I sometimes wish I lived somewhere where there were lots of trains and I had to commute farther than the 10 minutes I do now to work, just so I could squeeze in some knitting time! Somehow, the idea of just getting up as early as I would have to do to complete that commute and just knit at home does not sound as appealing!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your socks are lovely! I really like the colour and the pattern looks great!

    ReplyDelete