Thursday 26 July 2012

Ravellenic Games Swatching

I've been trying to get myself sorted to start the Ravellenic Games on Friday, so I decided to try and swatch for the item I'm planning to make. My (very ambitious) aim is to knit a plain Top Down Raglan for my Mum using the Top Down Raglan Pattern Generator. She wants a 3/4 sleeved pullover with a lower neckline than the pattern, so I think I will probably start the pattern after the first 5 increase rows, and hopefully that will just lower the neckline slightly
The yarn is Fornside Farm Mohair/Blue Faced Leicester, and was bought on holiday, and although I know I have 500g, I had no idea what the yardage of that was, so the swatch was doubly important. I'm getting 21 stitches and 29 rows in 4 inches, which I plugged into the generator to get my pattern, so now I just need to figure out what I'm doing so I'm all ready to cast on. I was  pretty lucky that just as I finished the swatch, I got to a knot, so I was able to weigh my swatch then unravel it, so I now know I have 22.65 yards in 10g, so I have about 1132 yards altogether, which doesn't seem quite enough for a sweater, but I'm really hoping it is, as getting more will probably be difficult!
I've ordered the size of needle tips I need (you know you're skint when you are debating if you can afford a set of £3.50 needle tips,but I decided I could), and I'm all ready to cast on! There's just one problem, I'm on call on Friday night, so when knitters all over the world are starting the games, I will be in the Children's Emergency Department. But it can't be helped, and I'll be casting on Saturday lunchtime after my on call is over. I'm very excited!

I'll leave you with an accidentally artistic shot of my yarn, taken when I went to see why the cat was crying (no idea, he was happily giving himself a wash by the time I got there...)

8 comments:

  1. That yarn looks delicious! Very soft and yummy :) What Ravellenics team are you on? I considered joining, but it's been difficult to keep up with Rav's Nerd Wars these days :-O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful yarn! Fingers crossed you have enough yarn and good luck! I'm just making a hat which feels so lame but I'll be travelling during the first week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always throw in a couple inches of stripes (or just a stripe that's a couple inches), if you think it'd help stretch out your yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love those artistic shots, those are my specialty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, go for the gold! I'll be cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that yarn looks so nice - looking forward to seeing the completed sweater. I've never participated in Ravellenic games but will look forward to seeing what everyone completes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post reminds me that I have so much to learn about swatching and really should... Looking forward to seeing it come to life...I'll be in the stands cheering

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the Ravellenic games. I decided to sit this year out, but now that I see everyone's posts I kind of wish I joined. I look forward to seeing your completed sweater.

    ReplyDelete