Sunday 20 May 2012

Year of Projects Week 46

There is a story behind the socks that I'm posting today.

First they were like this:
Then they were frogged, and looked like this:
Nope. Frogged again, went up a needle size, and got this:
Still no good. They went into time out. And after last week's advice, I decided to give up, frog again, and go up another needle size
So the picture isn't great, but the great news is:
It fits! After being frogged 3 times, and 3 different needle sizes, I think I've actually got it! I love this yarn, which I got on holiday in the Lake District, and which reminds me of what a great time I had. I think it looks perfect with this pattern, but I was so close to giving up on it. I'm glad I persevered, and now that it looks like it's going to fit, I actually want to work on it, which is a big plus!

12 comments:

  1. The pattern and yarn are lovely, I'm glad you have got the gauge sorted....all plain sailing from now on in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIPPEE! I would be super frustrated having to do that so many times, but it sure looks great now. Gorgeous color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably would have frogged and put the yarn on time out but that's me. I get like that. I had to frog a sock and the yarn has been on time out since then, even though it totally wasn't the yarn's fault.

    I might make those socks someday....

    And someday, I may make toe-up socks, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Isn't it great when perseverance pays off?! The socks look great so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow, such patience. I cant ever see myself doing that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on getting the right fit! I may not have had the patience to try it over again more than once :-O

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the things I have the most difficulty with is knitting a swatch to test my gauge. I know it is a basic and necessary skill. I think I have to have some in person guidance to help me understand the concept.
    Your work is so beautiful. Love the pattern and yarn. Looks like you are on the right track now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations....and that is why I have not tried socks yet! Truly a pretty sock and yarn and so nice you have a happy memory association with the yarn. :)
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Lake District and to now have a pair of socks that will remind you of your time there is super nice. With all your efforts, make sure you jot down your notes so that you can knit these up again! They are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look awesome. Isn't it handy that you can try on toe-up socks? After knitting dozens and dozens of socks I can tell pretty quick what will fit and what won't. I'm all about altering patterns to add stitches to make them work for me! Lovely red yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's what I call hardcore! Oh boy froggin' three times to get fit? I'd be cussin' up a good storm.
    Glad it's working out finally for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad it fits at last! The yarn is gorgeous and I love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete