Tuesday 3 September 2013

Third Year of Projects Week 9

So this is a late update due to a very busy weekend (but more on that later).

I have finished spinning my Juno Angora/Tussah, and it is beautiful. It's really soft and silky, as I was saying before, and I only lost 3g due to the felting in the end, which I don't think is bad. I'm also pretty proud of how well I judged the singles, the mini skein was Andean plied to use up the rest, and it's only 2g, and only used 8 yards of singles, so they were pretty close in length.

 photo DSCF4291_zps4d06c0e0.jpg

This pictures gives you a better idea of the colours, though my camera hates blue-greens. It reminds me of the sea, it's got that sort of colour spectrum.

 photo DSCF4296_zps7b016d2d.jpg

I've also made a little project, my first ever crochet project. Meet Cthulhu, a present for my best friend

 photo DSCF4304_zps0890110f.jpg

In future, please remind me that a small and complicated toy with lots of little parts is not a good first crochet project! There are a fair few mistakes, but I don't think you can really see them. I had most problems with the wings, as they came out completely different, and I ended up making two right wings so that they would match.

 photo DSCF4302_zps2352fec7.jpg

Also, since it's the first of the month, a hexipuff update! I have 47 puffs now, and I'm making about 12 a month, which isn't bad.

So onto the reason this post is late. I spent the weekend in London! Since I was at King's Cross on September 1st, there was somewhere I had to visit:

 photo DSC_0109_zps11c11812.jpg

The queue for official pictures was over an hour long, so I didn't bother to wait, but that is Platform 9 3/4.

 photo DSC_0111_zpsa3a31036.jpg

We got a great deal on the hotel, which is very posh! This is the grand staircase, and the entire place is decorated like this. It was a weekend of exhibitions, comedy shows, boat trips and a bit of shopping. I went to Loop Knitting in Islington, and decided to give in to the pull of the Wollmeise. I've heard so much about it that I had to try it!

 photo DSCF4314_zps2582c2dc.jpg

This picture shows the colours better. It's Poison Nr.5, and I didn't realise that it is a 150g skein, so I should get 2 pairs of socks from it!

 photo DSCF4311_zps3bc66ae3.jpg

And then when I got home, there was drama, as Connor managed to hit himself on the head (we're not sure how), and has some memory loss. So I spent all of Sunday night in A&E, but he was discharged late on Monday with outpatient follow up, so hopefully there won't be any lasting problems. It was a bit scary for a while though...

 photo 5825787323_4738d46a99_z-001_zps2ca68ebf.jpg

5 comments:

  1. I'm jealous that you got to go to London. Someday, perhaps when Little Man is older, we'll go. I also want to go to Ireland. And a ton of other places in between. ::sigh::

    Also, jealous of your Wollmeise. I almost considered ordering directly from them...and I still might. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary thing with the memory loss and all! I hope everything will be ok.

    That yarn is a really poisonous colour (a good one), love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you can only have one first crocheting project, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Green here reading about your trip to London and being able to get that close to 9 3/4! Sounds like you've made great progress for this week. I really like your hanspun. It looks terrific. Sorry your man was so injured he had memory loss! Yikes, brain trauma is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that you went to 9 3/4!!! that is great!!! beautiful yarns too!

    ReplyDelete