Sunday 8 September 2013

Third Year of Projects Week 10

Wow, double figures already, not bad!

It's been a really busy week again, which has meant that not much knitting has been done. I didn't do much at all at the start of the week, but this weekend I've been working on my latest pair of socks, in between cleaning the entire house. It's amazing how much more relaxed I feel now that it's all clean and tidy!

 photo DSCF4322_zpsfccf03f0.jpg

The pattern is Speleology from Knitcircus, an e-magazine which I won in a giveaway last year. I'm using Woolhunter Working Sock, in the colourway Ice Maiden and I'm loving the way that the two colours spiral round the sock. I am a bit concerned, because the pattern said to use 2mm needles, and I decided to knit size small with 2.5mm. This meant casting on 66 stitches, which is perfect for me, but I didn't realise that the stitch count increased after the ribbing up to 72. I'm hoping they won't be too big, but if they are, I'm sure I can find a home for them with my best friend! I'm using this pattern to learn to cable without a cable needle, so the cables aren't always perfectly neat, but my gauge is improving as I go, and hopefully they'll all even out in blocking.

Since I finished cleaning up, I also started to work with my fleece. I've split it into 10 bags by area of sheep and coarseness, and I'm starting to wash it. I can only do this because Connor is away visiting his parents, as sheep fleece is really bad for his asthma. Each bag weighs between 65 and 100g, so hopefully it is well separated and I won't need to do much moving around of fibre before carding.

 photo DSCF4319_zps81a2212e.jpg

In case you're wondering, Connor is feeling much better, though he still has some memory loss, and has tests later this week to figure out what the cause was, fingers crossed it all goes ok!

I've been on call for trauma this week, so I've seen lots of fractures and complex injuries. I seem to have done a lot of holding of limbs, though I was complimented on my stitching in theatre on Thursday! I think it's all the fibre crafts I do, it's very good for hand eye coordination and detail work.

 photo 5825787323_4738d46a99_z-001_zps2ca68ebf.jpg

14 comments:

  1. I love those socks! Knitcircus is fabulous and Jaala is great (which totally helps).

    I hope you haven't been doing marathon cleaning. That's not so good for you. If you get a chance, check out Unf*ck Your Habitat (it's a tumblr blog but there's a thread on LSG, too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty socks........love the pastel stripe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty socks........love the pastel stripe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited about your fleece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the socks and those are going to be awesome for the Flourish and Blotts class, I'm assuming they are destined for that class lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is Connor your significant other or child? That memory loss sounds worrisome. So sorry.
    I like how this colorway is knitting up and what an interesting concept for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The socks are lovely. I like the name and the color. I had the same questions as Kepanie about Connor? I hope the memory returns and that the asthma isn't as issue when he returns. I wish I could clean my whole house in one day but no can do! LOL! I bet you're right about the stitching practice and your medical stitching....practice makes perfect! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the look of the sock....I'm still trying to figure out how to get the perfect fit on my socks...I have yet to achieve that...I'm glad Connor is doing better...hopefully the tests will give you some answers

    ReplyDelete
  9. That fleece looks like all work to me - I guess I'm glad that others are willing to do it. The rustic yarn I'm working with now smells very "sheep-y" and that's about my limit :)

    Cute socks. Does the stitch count decrease with ankle shaping? You could always add some decreases to bring it back to where you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't seen that sock pattern before, it's very cool! Good luck with the fleece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colour of your socks - lovely. I hope Connor continues to improve :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the colors of your socks as it's the school color where I work :) They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colors of your socks as it's the school color where I work :) They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete