Sunday 5 August 2012

Second Year of Projects Week 6

My Ravellenic Games project is going really well, after a setback earlier this week.
It's now at a point where I can nearly start the ribbing for the base, so I'm really pleased with timing and should get it finished before the end of the games.

The setback was simply that after I split for the body and arms, i realised that the jumper was coming out to a size that was far too big even for me, and my Mum is a lot more petite than I am (4 foot 11.5, the half an inch is very important apparently!) and the jumper was coming out 38 inches round. I can't understand why, since I was still getting the same gauge, but maybe the designer's idea of "comfortable" is a lot different to mine! I ended up ripping back about 4 inches, so about 12 increase rows and about 10 rows after I split the stitches, which was about 2 days worth of knitting.

I did spend a lot of time knitting on it whilst watching the trampolining,which I really enjoyed. I was annoyed for Kat Driscoll of the UK, since we missed out on the final by 0.01! But it was really incredible to watch, and I just wish I was that good and could do those moves. It really was inspiring.

I'm also feeling quite comfortable about the amount of yarn I need now, since I've only just finished the second ball out of five, and I'm about to move on to the sleeves. So looks like it's all going well!

In terms of my course, I should be writing an essay right now, but I have no idea what to write about, so I need some prodding. I've had some very interesting times in Children's Emergency Department, and seen some really lovely,and some really sad cases. I did a nursing shift one day last week, and spent the entire time cuddling, feeding, changing, bathing and generally playing with the babies on the ward, which was wonderful, I really enjoyed it. The shift was a bit spoilt by needing to set off at 6am and discovering my car wouldn't start, I had a really enjoyable time getting the bus, which took a very long time and made me 45 minutes late. At least the nurses were understanding and just laughed at me. Then I got home and found out my computer had also broken, so it was a lovely evening of fixing things (or paying for things to be fixed...). But I suppose it can't be helped!

16 comments:

  1. Stop knitting and write your essay. When you have a good chunk done, you can knit some more. Wash, rinse, and repeat until you're done with the paper. Then get back to knitting :) Your education is way more important than knitting. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally use knitting as a procrastination tool. Believe me when I say, it's not actually worth it in the end...

    Just start writing. Your first draft never has to see the light of day, but at least you'll have word on paper (screen) and you'll have combated inertia with that initial push through (not that I'm taking my own advice at the moment, but it sounds good, right ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with the essay, I to reckon just start writing and something will come. Love the knitting and believe me when your just hitting 5 foot on a good day that half inch is soooooo important..I always prefer to say I'm just under 5 foot lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That jumper is lovely.

    Just start the essay, even if it's just writing a list of headings. I never understood why a new ball of yarn is so much more inviting than a blank sheet of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watching the trampolining made me want to do trampolining! It looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck on your essay, goodness you've got alot going. Love the jumper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The trampolining was awesome. Here in Canada we see the woman's final replied A LOT - after all it's our only Gold so far :)

    Love the little sweater. Sounds like it would have been huge on your Mom, so thank goodness you checked it and fixed it. Much better to rip back than be unhappy with it later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sweater is looking great. It stinks you had to rip it out but sheesh - she would have SWAM in the sweater as it was. :) Let's see... an essay - I say pick a heartwarming case and write about it. Perhaps what a night of playing and laughter can do for the soul :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doing great...far better than I who is a novice! I agree with the other commenter...work on your essay! I use knitting/crocheting as a reward throughout the day. I work a little then sit down and take a break and then repeat all day long. Good luck! You CAN do it all! I hope you get an A++++++! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with all the others-get busy writing that paper!! ;) I would totally use knitting as a reward--your sweater is coming right along. I am so impressed you were willing to tackle it for the Ravellenics!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your jumpers is looking great! I had a bit of a setback with my project but not as much as you - congrats for getting back on track and good luck with your essay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, sounds like you had a difficulty week between your car, the computer, and the sizing issue. But your project looks great! It's amazing that you've done so much in such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could tell you to go write your essay but since I'm writing this comment instead of my own essay..........

    ReplyDelete
  14. The sweater is coming along well - and I'm sure your essay will too!
    Does anyone else hold their breath watching the trampoline? Oh my goodness they go so high! Scary fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my great joys when my son was in the nicu were the days I got to cuddle him. We loved the nursing staff they were like having my own army of protective angels around my little man and the best support team we had. There were so many drs, but the same few nurses and we loved them.

    I cannot lecture you about the evils of procrastination as it is my byword.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The jumper is looking great, although ripping out all of that? Ouch :S Sounds like it was worth it though! Definitely going to be lovely :)

    Good luck with the essay!

    ReplyDelete